Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
- Impact of the owner-pet and client-veterinarian bond on the care that pets receive.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 232: 531-540
- A meta-review of stress, coping and interventions in dementia and dementia caregiving.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 106-114
- A systematic review of the prevalence and covariates of anxiety in caregivers of people with dementia.Int Psychogeriatr. 2007; 19: 175-195
- Anxiety and depression in family caregivers of people with Alzheimer disease: the LASER-AD study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005; 13: 795-801
- Caregiver burden in owners of a sick companion animal: a cross-sectional observational study.Vet Rec. 2017; 181: 321-327
- Predicting caregiver burden in general veterinary clients: contribution of companion animal signs and problem behaviors.Vet J. 2018; 236: 23-30
- Risk factors for suicide, attitudes toward mental illness, and practice-related stressors among U.S. veterinarians.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015; 247: 945-955
- Veterinary surgeons and suicide: a structured review of possible influences on increased risk.Vet Rec. 2010; 166: 388-397
- Development of a taxonomy of practice-related stressors experienced by veterinarians in the United States.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018; 252: 227-233
- Proportion recovery and times to ambulation for non-ambulatory dogs with thoracolumbar disc extrusions treated with hemilaminectomy or conservative treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of case-series studies.Vet J. 2017; 220: 7-16
- Long-term functional outcome of dogs with severe injuries of the thoracolumbar spinal cord: 87 cases (1996–2001).J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003; 222: 762-769
- Thoracolumbar disc disease in large dogs: a study of 99 cases.J Small Anim Pract. 2002; 43: 439-446
- Thoracolumbar intervertebral disk disease in large, nonchrondrodystrophic dogs: a retrospective study.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 1997; 33: 456-460
- Outcome and prognostic factors in non-ambulatory Hansen Type I intervertebral disc extrusions: 308 cases.Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2006; 19: 29-34
- Functional outcome in dogs after surgical treatment of caudal lumbar intervertebral disk herniation.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 1999; 35: 323-331
- Owner-perceived, weighted quality-of-life assessments in dogs with spinal cord injuries.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 233: 931-935
Available at: https://www.handicappedpets.com/blog/how-to-express-dog-bladder/. Accessed September 14, 2018.
Available at: https://www.handicappedpets.com/how-to-express-your-pets-bladder-general-information/. Accessed September 14, 2018.
Available at: http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/Expressing.htm. Accessed September 14, 2018.
- Incidence of and risk factors for postoperative pneumonia in dogs anesthetized for diagnosis or treatment of intervertebral disk disease.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2009; 235: 281-287
- Indication, management, and outcome of brachycephalic dogs requiring mechanical ventilation.J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2011; 21: 226-235
- Postoperative care.in: Small animal spinal disorders: diagnosis and surgery. 2nd edition. Elsevier Limited, London2005: 339-362
- Canine idiopathic epilepsy: prevalence, risk factors and outcome associated with cluster seizures and status epilepticus.J Small Anim Pract. 2012; 53: 526-530
- Quality-of-life aspects in idiopathic epilepsy in dogs.Vet Rec. 2016; 179: 229
- Why psychology matters in veterinary medicine.Top Companion Anim Med. 2015; 30: 43-47
- Localized pain associated with seizures originating in the parietal lobe.Epilepsia. 1999; 40: 845-855
- 2015 ACVIM small animal consensus statement on seizure management in dogs.J Vet Intern Med. 2016; 30: 477-490
- Stress models of depression: forming genetically vulnerable strains.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005; 29: 799-804
- Stress revisited: a critical evaluation of the stress concept.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2011; 35: 1291-1301
- Depressive symptoms among mothers of children with epilepsy: a review of prevalence, associated factors, and impact on children.Epilepsia. 2009; 50: 2344-2354
- Intranasal midazolam versus rectal diazepam for management of canine status epilepticus: a multicenter randomized parallel-group clinical trial.J Vet Intern Med. 2017; 31: 1149-1158
- Assessment into usage of levetiracetam in a canine epilepsy clinic.BMC Vet Res. 2015; 11: 25
- Cognitive dysfunction in naturally occurring canine idiopathic epilepsy.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0192182
- Behavioral changes in dogs associated with the development of idiopathic epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2011; 21: 160-167
- Effects of a ketogenic diet on ADHD-like behavior in dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 55: 62-68
- Cognitive function, progression of age-related behavioral changes, biomarkers, and survival in dogs more than 8 years old.J Vet Intern Med. 2015; 29: 1569-1577
- Cognitive disturbances in old dogs suffering from the canine counterpart of Alzheimer’s disease.Brain Res. 2006; 1069: 216-226
- Therapeutic agents for the treatment of cognitive dysfunction syndrome in senior dogs.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 29: 471-479
- Effect of S-adenysylmethionine tablets on the reduction of age-related mental decline in dogs: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.Vet Ther. 2008; 9: 69-82
- A randomized trial of a medium-chain TAG diet as treatment for dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.Br J Nutr. 2015; 114: 1438-1447
- The use of trazodone to facilitate post-surgical confinement in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2014; 245: 296-301
- Relatives of the impaired elderly: correlates of feelings of burden.Gerontologist. 1980; 20: 649-655
- Living with a brain tumor: reaction profiles in patients and their caregivers.Support Care Cancer. 2013; 21: 1105-1111
- Palliative care and neurology: time for a paradigm shift.Neurology. 2014; 83: 561-567
- Neurologists as primary palliative care providers: communication and practice approaches.Neurol Clin Pract. 2016; 6: 40-48
- Palliative care in neurology.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 1592-1601
- SPIKES: a six-step protocol for delivering bad news- application to the patient with cancer.Oncologist. 2000; 5: 302-311
- Palliative care communication: linking patients’ prognoses, values, and goals of care.Res Nurs Health. 2013; 36: 582-590
- Communication about serious illness care goals: a review and synthesis of best practices.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1994-2003
- Exploring caregiver burden within a veterinary setting.Vet Rec. 2017; 181: 318-319
- Quantity and quality of life: duties of care in life-limiting illness.J Am Med Assoc. 2016; 315: 267-269
- Qualitative study of the communication expectations of clients accessing oncology care at a tertiary referral center for dogs with life-limiting cancer.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2014; 245: 785-795
- For human needs, some veterinary clinics are turning to a professional: social workers see a place for themselves in veterinary practice.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2016; 248: 8-12
- Moral stress the top trigger in veterinarians’ compassion fatigue: veterinary social worker suggests redefining veterinarians’ ethical responsibility.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015; 246: 16-18
- Are emotionally attached companion animal caregivers conscientious and neurotic? Factors that affect the human companion animal relationship.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2015; 18: 239-258
Disclosure Statement: The author has nothing to disclose.