Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
- Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2000; 3: 93-106
- Understanding animal companion surplus in the United States: relinquishment of nonadoptables to animals shelters for euthanasia.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2001; 4: 237-248
- Factors associated with the decision to surrender a pet to an animal shelter.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 209: 738-742
- Returning a recently adopted companion animal: adopters' reasons for, and reactions to, the failed experience.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2005; 8: 187-198
- Exploring the bond: The role of veterinary practitioners in reducing dog and cat relinquishments and euthanasias.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 220: 306-311
- The signalling repertoire of the domestic cat and its undomesticated relatives.in: Turner D. Bateson P. The domestic cat: the biology of its behaviour. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (United Kingdom)2000: 67-95
- Dominance in domestic dogs- useful construct or bad habit?.J Vet Behav. 2009; 4: 135-144
- Learning and human nurture.in: Psychology core concepts. 7th edition. Pearson Education, Inc, Upper Saddle River (NJ)2012: 132-169
- Extinction and recovery.in: Elementary principles of behavior. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (NJ)1997: 91-108
- Factors associated with aggressive responses in pet dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2010; 123: 108-123
- Training methods and owner-dog interactions: links with dog behaviour and learning ability.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2011; 132: 169-177
- Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in client-owned dogs showing undesired behaviors.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2009; 117: 47-54
- Dog training methods- their use, effectiveness and interaction with behaviour and welfare.Anim Welf. 2004; 13: 63-69
- Effects of dog-appeasing pheromones on anxiety and fear in puppies during training and on long-term socialization.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 233: 1874-1882
- Evaluation of dog-appeasing pheromone as a potential treatment for dogs fearful of fireworks.Vet Rec. 2003; 152: 432-436
- A triple blind placebo-controlled investigation into the assessment of the effect of Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) on anxiety related behaviour of problem dogs in the veterinary clinic.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2006; 98: 114-116
- Efficacy of a dog appeasing pheromone in reducing stress and fear related behaviour in shelter dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2005; 93: 295-308
- Effects of a synthetic facial pheromone on behavior of cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 217: 1154-1156
- A meta-analysis of studies of treatments for feline urine spraying.PLoS One. 2011; 6: 1-10
- A synthetic fraction of feline pheromones calms but does not reduce struggling in cats before venous catheterization.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2006; 33: 258-265
- The neuropharmacology of L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent.J Herb Pharmacother. 2006; 6: 21-30
- Anxitane tablets reduce fear of human beings in a laboratory model of anxiety-related behavior.J Vet Behav. 2010; 5: 268-275
- Harmonease chewable tablets reduces noise-induced fear and anxiety in a laboratory canine thunderstorm simulation: a blinded and placebo-controlled study.J Vet Behav. 2012; 7: 225-232
- Cognitive dysfunction syndrome: a disease of canine and feline brain aging.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2012; 42: 749-768
- Effects of prescription diet on dealing with stressful situations and performance of anxiety-related behaviors in privately owned anxious dogs.J Vet Behav. 2012; 7: 21-26
- Long term treatment with antioxidants and a program of behavioural enrichment reduces age-dependant impairment in discrimination and reversal learning in beagle dogs.Exp Gerontol. 2004; 39: 753-765
- Dietary supplementation with medium-chain TAG has long-lasting cognition-enhancing effects in aged dogs.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 1746-1754
- Blackwell's five-minute veterinary consult clinical companion: canine and feline behavior.Blackwell Publishing, Ames (IA)2007
Conflict of Interest: Dr D.F. Horwitz, Behavior consultant for Ceva Animal Health, Clorox Advisory Panel; Dr A.L. Pike, Nil.