Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dog bite prevention. In: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Dog-Bites/biteprevention.html#howbig. Accessed July 2013.
- Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters.J Appl Anim Welfare Sci. 2000; 3: 93-106
- Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in client-owned dogs showing undesired behaviors.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2009; 117: 47-54
- Signalment factors, comorbidity and trends in behavior diagnosis in dogs: 1,644 cases (1991-2001).J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 229: 1591-1598
- Serum total thyroxine and thyroid stimulating hormone concentrations in dogs with behavior problems.J Vet Behav. 2009; 4: 230-236
- Comparison of thyroid analytes in dogs aggressive to familiar people and non-aggressive dogs.Vet J. 2012; 192: 472-475
- The effect of thyroid replacement in dogs with suboptimal thyroid function on owner-directed aggression: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.J Vet Behav. 2013; 8: 225-230
- Evaluation of the effects of clomipramine on canine thyroid function tests.J Vet Intern Med. 2008; 17: 44-49
- Efficacy of dog appeasing pheromone in reducing stress and fear related behaviour in shelter dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2005; 93: 295-308
- A triple-blind placebo-controlled investigation into the assessment of the effect of dog appeasing pheromone (D.A.P.®) on anxiety related behavior of problem dogs in the veterinary clinic.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2006; 98: 114-126
- Effect of dietary protein content and tryptophan supplementation on dominance aggression, territorial aggression, and hyperactivity in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 217: 504-508
- Effect of dietary protein content on behavior in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 208: 376-379
- Effect of prescription diet on dealing with stressful situations and performance of anxiety-related behaviors in privately owned anxious dogs.J Vet Behav. 2012; 7: 21-26
- Anxitane® tablets reduce fear of human beings in a laboratory model of anxiety-related behavior.J Vet Behav. 2010; 5: 268-275
- Blood concentrations of serotonin, cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone in aggressive dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2010; 123: 124-130
- Comparison of cerebrospinal fluid monoamine metabolite levels in dominant-aggressive and non-aggressive dogs.Brain Res. 1996; 714: 57-64
- Impulse-control disorders not elsewhere classified.in: Grebb J.A. Pataki C.S. Sussman N. Synopsis of psychiatry. 10th edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2007: 773-785
- Effects of castration on problem behaviors in male dogs with reference to age and duration of behavior.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1997; 211: 180-182
- Animal behavior case of the month. Aggression that began 4 days after ovariohysterectomy.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1998; 213: 1260-1262
- An anxiolytic action of oxytocin is enhanced by estrogen in the mouse.Physiol Behav. 1997; 60: 1209-1215
- Behavioural effects of ovariohysterectomy on bitches.J Small Anim Pract. 1990; 31: 595-598
- Effects of ovariohysterectomy on reactivity in German shepherd dogs.Vet J. 2006; 172: 154-159
- Genetic variation in aggression-related traits in golden retriever dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2007; 104: 95-106
- Phenotyping of aggressive behavior in golden retriever dogs with a questionnaire.Behav Genet. 2006; 36: 882-902
- Heritability of dominant-aggressive behavior in English cocker spaniels.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2006; 100: 219-227
- National survey of owner-directed aggression in English springer spaniels.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005; 227: 1594-1603
American Veterinary Dental College. Aggressive dogs and cats – dental treatment: removal or reduction of teeth as a treatment for canine or feline aggression. 1988. Available at: http://www.avdc.org/aggressivetreatment.html. Accessed July 6, 2013.
- A prospective study of two self-help CD based desensitization and counter-conditioning programmes with the use of dog appeasing pheromone (D.A.P.®) for the treatment of firework fears in dogs (Canis familiaris).Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2007; 105: 311-329
Gaultier E, Pageat P. Effects of a synthetic dog appeasing pheromone (D.A.P.®) on behaviour problems during transport. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Behaviour Meeting. Caloundra (Australia): 2003. p. 33–5.
- Efficacy of dog-appeasing pheromone (DAP) for ameliorating separation-related behavioral signs in hospitalized dogs.Can Vet J. 2010; 51: 380-384
- Comparison of the effectiveness of a purported anti-static cape (the Storm Defender®) vs. a placebo cape in the treatment of canine thunderstorm phobia as assessed by owners’ reports.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2009; 119: 78-84
- The effectiveness of the Anxiety Wrap in the treatment of canine thunderstorm phobia: an open-label trial.J Vet Behav. 2013; 8: 154-161
Leeds J, Spector L, Wagner S. Bioacoustic research and development (BARD) canine research summary. 2007. Available at: http://throughadogsear.com/pdfs/BardExecutiveSummary.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Aromatherapy for travel-induced excitement in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 229: 964-967
- Harmonease chewable tablets reduces noise-induced fear and anxiety in a laboratory canine thunderstorm simulation: a blinded and placebo-controlled study.J Vet Behav. 2012; 7: 225-232
- A double-blinded placebo-controlled study into the efficacy of a homeopathic remedy for fear of firework noises in the dog (Canis familiaris).Vet J. 2008; 177: 80-88
- The reinforcing value of physical contact and the effect on canine heart rate of grooming in different anatomical areas.Anthrozoos. 2005; 18: 236-244
- Herb-drug interactions: review and assessment of report reliability.J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 52: 587-595
- Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments.JAMA. 1998; 279: 51-53
- The use of clonidine in the treatment of fear-based behavior problems in dogs: an open trial.J Vet Behav. 2011; 6: 130-137
- Use of fluoxetine to treat dominance aggression in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 209: 1585-1587
- Efficacy of amitriptyline as a pharmacologic adjunct to behavioral modification in the management of aggressive behaviors in dogs.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2001; 37: 325-330
- Role of serotonin and dopamine system interactions in the neurobiology of impulsive aggression and its comorbidity with other clinical disorders.Aggress Violent Behav. 2008; 13: 383-395
- Neural mechanisms of aggression.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2007; 8: 536-546
- Aggressive behavior in dogs.in: Canine and feline behavioral therapy. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1985: 282-301
- Aggressive behavior in the English cocker spaniel.J Vet Behav. 2009; 4: 111-117
- Abnormal canine behaviors and behavioral pathologies involving aggression.in: Manual of clinical behavioral medicine for dogs and cats. Elsevier, St Louis (MO)2013: 214-218
- The English Cocker Spaniel: Preliminary findings on aggressive behavior.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1996; : 75-89
- Phenobarbital-responsive episodic dyscontrol (rage) in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1992; 210: 1580-1583
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior. AVSAB position statement on puppy socialization. 2008. Available at: http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/puppy_socialization.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Frequency of CPV infection in vaccinated puppies that attended puppy socialization class.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2013; 48: 95-100
- Mental health of dogs formerly used as “breeding stock” in commercial breeding establishments.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2011; 135: 86-94
- Differences in behavioral characteristics between dogs obtained from pet stores and those obtained from noncommercial breeders.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013; 242: 1359-1363
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Dominance Aggression in Dogs.Vet Clin North Am. 1982; 12: 655-663
- Yin’s Learn to Earn Program for Puppies.in: Perfect puppy in 7 days: How to start your puppy off right. CattleDog Publishing, Davis, CA2011: 67-126 (p.)
- Figure 3.20 Establishing leadership and control.in: Handbook of behavior problems of the dog and cat. 2nd Edition. Saunders, Edinburgh2003: 48