Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
World Health Organization. Preamble to the Constitution of the World Health Organization as adopted by the International Health Conference. New York, June 19–22, 1946; signed on 22 July 1946 by the representatives of 61 states and entered into force on 7 April 1948. (Official Records of the World Health Organization, no. 2. p. 100).
- Behavioral and physiological correlates of stress in laboratory cats.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1993; 38: 143-158
- Stress and the general adaptation syndrome.Br Med J. 1950; 1: 1384-1392
- On the nature and function of emotion: a component process approach.in: Scherer K.R. Ekman P. Approaches to emotion. Erlbaum, Hillsdale (NJ)1984: 293-317
- Principles of pheromonatherapy. Stress and pheromonatherapy in small animal clinical behaviour.Wiley-Blackwell, Wes Sussex (United Kingdom)2013: 127-145
- Affective neuroscience: the foundations of human and animal emotions.Oxford University Press, New York1998
- Aggression towards unfamiliar people and animals.in: Horwitz D. Mills D.M. Heath S. BSAVA manual of canine and feline behavioural medicine. BSAVA Publications, Gloucester (United Kingdom)2009: 154-163
- An evaluation of serum prolactin in anxious dogs and response to treatment with selegiline or fluoxetine.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2007; 105: 342-350
- Personalised medicine: a critique on the future of health care.J Bioeth Inq. 2013; 10: 197-203
- The effects of fear and anxiety on health and lifespan in pet dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2010; 125: 157-162
- Feline hyperthyroidism: A descriptive and case-control study.Prev Vet Med. 1998; 6: 295-309
- Elevated PBDE levels in pet cats: sentinels for humans?.Environ Sci Technol. 2007; 41: 6350-6356
- A study of environmental and behavioural factors that may be associated with feline idiopathic cystitis.J Small Anim Pract. 2004; 45: 144-147
- Causes of urine marking in cats and effects of environmental management on frequency of marking.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 219: 1709-1713
- Feline urethral obstruction: a case-control study.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1977; 170: 1320-1324
- An epidemiological survey of the feline urological syndrome.J Small Anim Pract. 1977; 18: 282-301
- Epidemiology of naturally-occurring feline urologic syndrome.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1984; 14: 455-469
- Increased plasma norepinephrine concentration in cats with interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 2001; 165: 2051-2054
- Evaluation of the effects of stress in cats with idiopathic cystitis.Am J Vet Res. 2006; 67: 731-736
- Are cats with housesoiling problems stressed? A case-controlled comparison of faecal glucocorticoid levels in urine spraying and toileting cats.in: Mills Da Graca Pereira Jacinto Proceedings of the Ninth International Veterinary Behavioural Meeting Conference. Lisbon, Portugal, 26–28, September 2013: 113-114
- Common causes of male dog infertility.Theriogenology. 2007; 68: 322-328
Kutzler MA. Canine semen collection and management of male infertility. Fifth Congreso Latinoamericano de Emergencias y Cuidados Intensivos, 2012, Mexico. Available online from http://www.congreso.laveccs.org/res2012/m2012.php.
- Evaluation of infertility in the bitch.Clin Tech Small Anim Pract. 2002; 17: 108-115
- Antimicrobial anxiety: the impact of stress on antimicrobial immunity.J Leukoc Biol. 2010; 88: 263-277
- How does stress affect you? An overview of stress, immunity, depression and disease.Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc. 2001; 10: 153-162
- Behavioural, saliva cortisol and heart rate responses to different types of stimuli in dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1998; 58: 365-381
- Influence of male and female petters on plasma cortisol and behaviour: can human interaction reduce the stress of dogs in a public animal shelter?.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1998; 61: 63-77
- Associations among weight loss, stress, and upper respiratory tract infection in shelter cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2012; 240: 570-576
- A unifying hypothesis of schizophrenia: abnormal immune system development may help explain roles of prenatal hazards, post-pubertal onset, stress, genes, climate, infections, and brain dysfunction.Med Hypotheses. 2010; 74: 555-563
- Prenatal maternal anxiety predicts reduced adaptive immunity in infants.Brain Behav Immun. 2013; 32: 21-28
- Stress and the gastrointestinal tract.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 20: 332-339
- Separation anxiety syndrome in cats: 136 cases (1991-2000).J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002; 220: 1028-1033
- Canine anxieties and phobias: an update on separation anxiety and noise aversions.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2008; 38: 1081-1106
- Sickness behaviours in response to unusual environmental events in healthy cats and cats with FIC.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011; 1: 67-73
Hart BL, Tran AA, Bain M. Canine conspecific coprophagia: who, when and why dogs eat stools. In: Proceedings Behavior Symposium of American College of Veterinary Behaviorists/American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, 8, 3 August 2012, San Francisco, California, US.
Monte F, Basse C, Lynch A. Stress as a factor in inflammatory bowel disease; pilot study to investigate whether affected dogs differ from unaffected controls in their response to novel stimuli. In: Proceedings of the European Veterinary Behavioral Meeting, 46–49, 24–26 September 2010, Hamburg, Germany.
- Scratching the surface of skin development.Nature. 2007; 445: 834-842
- Psychophysiology of stress in dermatology: the psychobiologic pattern of psychosomatics.Dermatol Clin. 1996; 14: 399-422
- Behavioural problems of the dog and cat.3rd edition. Saunders Limited, Edinburgh, UK2013: 76-112
- Importance of psychogenic dermatoses in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 233: 1105-1111
- Importance of psychogenic dermatoses in dogs with pruritic behavior.Veterinary Dermatology. 2002; 13: 211-229
- Association of pruritus with anxiety or aggression in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 233: 1105-1111
- Self-injurious behavior and obsessive-compulsive disorder in domestic animals.in: Dodman N.H. Shuster L. Psychopharmacology of animal behavior disorders. Blackwell Science, Malden (MA)1998: 222-252
- Post-conflict stress-response in confined group-living cats (Felis silvestris catus).Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1998; 59: 323-330
- The effect of haloperidol and naloxone on excessive grooming behavior of cats.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 1994; 4: 39-45
- Underlying medical conditions in cats with presumptive psychogenic alopecia.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 228: 1705-1709
- Veterinary and pharmacological approaches to abnormal behaviour.in: Mason G. Rushen J. Stereotypic animal behaviour: fundamentals and applications to welfare. CABI, Wallingford, Oxon, UK2008: 286-324
- A canine chromosome 7 locus confers compulsive disorder susceptibility.Mol Psychiatry. 2010; 15: 8-10
- Description and development of compulsive tail chasing in terriers and response to clomipramine treatment.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1998; 212: 1252
- Factors affecting pica in the domestic cat.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1997; 52: 373-379
- Possible behavioral effects of exogenous corticosteroids on dog behavior: a preliminary investigation.J Vet Behav. 2011; 6: 321-327
- Analysis of 1040 cases of canine aggression in a referral practice in Spain.J Vet Behav. 2007; 2: 158-165
- Clinical classification of canine aggression.Appl Anim Ethol. 1983; 10: 35-43
- Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2000; 3: 93-106
- Human directed aggression in Brazilian domestic cats: owner reported prevalence, contexts and risk factors.J Feline Med Surg. 2009; 11: 835-841
- Factors associated with aggressive responses in pet dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2010; 123: 108-123
Corridan CL, Mills DS, Pfeffer K. Comparison of factors limiting acquisition versus retention of companion dogs. In: Heath SE, editor. Proceedings of the 7th International Veterinary Behaviour Meeting, 197, 28–31 October 2009 Edinburgh, UK.
- Relationship between aggressive and avoidance behaviour by dogs and their experience in the first six months of life.Vet Rec. 2002; 150: 434-438
- Early experience and the development of behaviour.in: Serpell J. The domestic dog: its evolution, behaviour and interactions with people. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (United Kingdom)1996: 79-103
- Puppy socialisation programs: short and long term behavioural effects.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1999; 62: 335-349
- Life skills for puppies: laying the foundation for a loving lasting relationship.Hubble and Hattie, Dorchester (United Kingdom)2012
- Human analogue safe haven effect of the owner: behavioural and heart rate response to stressful social stimuli in dogs.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e58475