Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
- Owners' perceptions of behavior problems and behavior therapists in Italy: a preliminary study.J Vet Behav. 2008; 3: 52-58
- Evaluation of urine marking by cats as a model for understanding veterinary diagnostic and treatment approaches and client attitudes.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002; 221: 1282-1286
- Signalment factors, comorbidity, and trends in behavior diagnoses in cats: 736 cases (1991–2001).J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 229: 1602-1606
- Intercat aggression in households following the introduction of a new cat.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2005; 90: 325-336
- Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2000; 3: 93-106
- Fear of strangers and play behavior in kittens with varied social experience.Child Dev. 1967; 38: 877-891
- The human-cat relationship.in: Turner D.C. Bateson P. The domestic cat: the biology of its behaviour. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (MA)2000: 193-206
- Behavioral development in animals undergoing domestication.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1999; 65: 245-271
- The impact of paternity and early socialisation on the development of cats' behaviour to people and novel objects.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1995; 45: 109-124
- Friendliness to humans and defensive aggression in cats: the influence of handling and paternity.Physiol Behav. 1994; 55: 1119-1124
Stelow E. The relationship between coat color and behaviors in the domestic cat. In: Proceedings from the Veterinary Behavior Symposium. Chicago, July 19, 2013. p. 38.
Chon E. The effects of queen (Felis sylvestris)-rearing versus hand-rearing on feline aggression and other problematic behaviors. In 5th International Veterinary Behavior Meeting. Minneapolis (MN): Purdue University Press; 2005. p. 201–2.
- Infantile experience and adult behavior in animal subjects: II. Age of separation from the mother and adult behavior in the cat.Psychosom Med. 1959; 21: 353-378
- Effects of early rearing experience on subsequent adult sexual behavior using domestic cats (Felis catus) as a model for exotic small felids.Z Biol. 1992; 11: 17-32
- Differences between vocalization evoked by social stimuli in feral cats and house cats.Behav Processes. 2011; 87: 183-189
- The signalling repertoire of the domestic cat and its undomesticated relatives.in: Turner D.C. Bateson P. The domestic cat: the biology of its behaviour. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (MA)2000: 67-94
- Transmissibility of 15-Hertz to 35-Hertz vibrations to the human hip and lumbar spine: determining the physiologic feasibility of delivering low-level anabolic mechanical stimuli to skeletal regions at greatest risk of fracture because of osteoporosis.Spine. 2003; 28: 2621-2627
- Vocalizing in the house-cat; a phonetic and functional study.Am J Psychol. 1944; 57: 184-205
- Classification of domestic cat (Felis catus) vocalizations by naive and experienced human listeners.J Comp Psychol. 2003; 117: 44-52
- Gender differences in the social behavior of the neutered indoor-only domestic cat.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1999; 64: 193-211
- Influence of familiarity and relatedness on proximity and allogrooming in domestic cats (Felis catus).Am J Vet Res. 2003; 64: 1151-1154
- A social network perspective on measurements of dominance hierarchies.Anim Behav. 2012; 83: 925-934
- Correlation of dominance as determined by agonistic interactions with feeding order in cats.Am J Vet Res. 2004; 65: 1548-1556
- Attitudes, procedures, and delivery of behavior services by veterinarians in small animal practice.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999; 215: 1606-1611
- Canine behaviour problems: discussions between veterinarians and dog owners during annual booster consultations.Vet Rec. 2013; 172: 235
- Veterinarians' perceptions of behaviour support in small-animal practice.Vet Rec. 2013; 172: 267
- Breaking the human-companion animal bond.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 208: 1653-1659
- Evidence for an association between pet behavior and owner attachment levels.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1996; 47: 49-60
- Handbook of behavior problems of the dog and cat.2nd edition. Saunders, New York2003
Lifelearn client education. 2013. Available at: http://www.lifelearn.com/veterinary-practice-success/client-education/. Accessed February 4, 2014.
- Analysis of solicitation of client concerns in companion animal practice.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011; 238: 1609-1615
- Four core communication skills of highly effective practitioners.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2006; 36: 385-396
- Prevalence of house soiling and aggression in kittens during the first year after adoption from a humane society.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004; 224: 1790-1795
- Cat aggression redirected to people: 14 cases (1981–1987).J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1990; 196: 947-950
- Evaluation of inciting causes, alternative targets, and risk factors associated with redirected aggression in cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 233: 586-589
- Effects of castration on fighting, roaming, and urine spraying in adult male cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1973; 163: 290-292
- Factors relating to urine spraying and fighting in prepubertally gonadectomized cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1984; 184: 1255-1258
- Clinical evaluation of multimodal environmental modification (MEMO) in the management of cats with idiopathic cystitis.J Feline Med Surg. 2006; 8: 261-268
Clinical Animal Behavior Service. University of California-School of Veterinary Medicine. Available at: http://behavior.vetmed.ucdavis.edu. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Effects of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor on urine spraying behavior in cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 219: 1557-1561
- Intercat aggression: a retrospective study examining types of aggression, sexes of fighting pairs, and effectiveness of treatment.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1997; 55: 153-162
- Clinical trial of a feline pheromone analogue for feline urine marking.J Vet Med Sci. 2001; 63: 157-161
- Effects of a synthetic facial pheromone on behavior of cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 217: 1154-1156
- A meta-analysis of studies of treatments for feline urine spraying.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18448
- Systematic review of the use of pheromones for treatment of undesirable behavior in cats and dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010; 236: 1308-1316
The Catalyst Council. Available at: http://www.catalystcouncil.org/. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Low stress handling, restraint and behavior modification of dogs and cats: techniques for developing patients who love their visits.CattleDog Publishing, Davis (CA)2009
- Infantile stimulation, activity, and learning by cats.Child Dev. 1965; 36: 843-853
- Training your cat.Hyland House Press, Flemington (Australia)2001
- Evaluation of association between retention in the home and attendance at puppy socialization classes.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003; 223: 61-66
Khuly P. Bottle-fed kittens: nightmares in the making? 2008. Available at: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2008/july/bottle-fed-kittens-nightmares-making. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in client-owned dogs showing undesired behaviors.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2009; 117: 47-54