- Fleming J.M.
- Creepy K.E.
- Promislow D.E.L.
- •A mechanism-based approach to pain management is the most productive way to make significant advancements.
- •Osteoarthritis is a “total joint disease,” with many different tissue types contributing to the pain response.
- •Cyclooxygenase-2, prostaglandin E2, interleukin-1β, matrix metalliproteinase-13, inducible nitric oxide synthase, and tumor necrosis factor-α are all major players in the catabolic process of degenerative joint disease.
- •Osteoarthritis cannot be cured, but can be managed quite effectively with a multi-modal approach.
- •As cancer progresses, changing factors may complicate the pain state. Only through an understanding of the mechanisms associated with dynamic cancer pain, can we manage patients' pain with evidence-based confidence.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
- Mortality in North American dogs from 1984 to 2004: an investigation into age-, size-, and breed-related causes of death.J Vet Intern Med. 2011; 25: 187-198
- Roles of chondrocytes in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2002; 14: 578-584
- The role of cytokines in cartilage matrix degeneration in osteoarthritis.Clin Orthop. 2004; 427: S27-S36
- The effect of tumor necrosis factor alpha and gamma-interferon on the resorption of human articular cartilage and on the production of prostaglandin E and of caseinase activity by human articular chondrocytes.Arthritis Rheum. 1989; 32: 780-784
- Effects of tumor necrosing factor alpha and beta on resorption of human articular cartilage and production of plasminogen activator by human articular chondrocytes.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 542-552
- Arthritogenic actions of recombinant IL-1 and tumour necrosis factor alpha in the rabbit: evidence for synergistic interactions between cytokines in vivo.Clin Exp Immunol. 1989; 75: 306-310
- Human chondrocyte culture models for studying cyclooxygenase expression and prostaglandin regulation of collagen gene expression.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1999; 7: 386-388
- The role of nitric oxide in articular cartilage damage.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1999; 25: 269-282
- The induction of cell death in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes by nitric oxide is related to the production of prostaglandin E2 via the induction of cyclooxygenase-2.J Immunol. 2000; 165: 3402-3410
- Induction of apoptosis in bovine articular chondrocyte by prostaglandin E(2) through cAMP-dependent pathway.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000; 8: 17-24
- Cytokines and their receptors.in: Koopman W.J. Arthritis and allied conditions. 13th edition. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore (MD)1997: 2013
- Collagenase-3 (matrix metalloprotease 13) is preferentially localized in the deep layer of human arthritic cartilage in situ: in vitro mimicking effect by transforming growth factor beta.Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 40: 1653-1661
- In situ zymographic localisation of type II collagen degrading activity in osteoarthritic human articular cartilage.Ann Rheum Dis. 1999; 58: 357-365
- Metalloproteases and inhibitors in arthritic diseases.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2001; : 805-829
- Nitric oxide and arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1993; 36: 1036-1044
- The role of nitric oxide in IL-1 and TNFalpha-induced inhibition of proteoglycan synthesis in human articular cartilage.Trans Orthop Res Soc. 1994; 19: 77
- Nitric oxide mediates suppression of cartilage proteoglycan synthesis by interleukin-1.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994; 200: 142-148
- Nitric oxide mediates interleukin-1 induced inhibition of glycosaminoglycan synthesis in rat articular cartilage.Mediators Inflamm. 1995; 4: 107-111
- Osteoarthritis chondrocytes die by apoptosis.Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 41: 284-289
- Chondrocyte apoptosis and nitric oxide production during experimentally induced osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 41: 1266-1274
- The increased synthesis of inducible nitric oxide inhibits IL-1Ra synthesis by human articular chondrocytes: possible role in osteoarthritic cartilage degradation.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1996; 4: 77-84
- Nitric oxide regulates matrix metalloprotease-13 expression and activity in endothelium.Kidney Int. 2002; 61: 804-808
- Effect of unsaponifiable extracts of avocado and soybean (Piascledine) on the collagenolytic action of cultures of human rheumatoid synoviocytes and rabbit articular chondrocytes treated with interleukin-1.Rev Rhum Mal Osteoartic. 1991; 58: 241-245
- Effects of three avocado/soybean unsaponifiable mixtures on metalloproteinases, cytokines and prostaglandin E2 production by human articular chondrocytes.Clin Rheumatol. 1998; 17: 31-39
- Avocado/soya unsaponifiables enhance the expression of transforming growth factor beta1 and beta2 in cultured articular chondrocytes.Arthritis Rheum. 1999; 42: 148-156
- Effects of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate on bovine cartilage explants under long-term culture conditions.AJVR. 2007; 68: 709-715
- Avocado soybean unsaponifiables (ASU) suppress TNF-α, IL-1β, COX-2, iNOS gene expression, and prostaglandin E2 and nitric oxide production in articular chondrocytes and monocyte/macrophages.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 125: 1249-1255
- Multimodal management of canine osteoarthritis.Manson Publishing, London (UK)2010
Millis DL. A multimodal approach to treating osteoarthritis. 2006 Western Veterinary Conference Symposium Proceedings. Las Vegas (NV), February 19–23, 2006.
- Dasuquin’s efficacy may be similar to that of NSAIDs in dogs.Vet Med. 2010; 105 (Canapp SO, Jr., moderator): 1-16http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/Surgery/Dasuquins-efficacy-may-be-similar-to-that-of-NSAID/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/695178
- Omega-3 fatty acid effects on force plate analysis & clinical signs.Hills Pet Nutrition. 2005;
- Longitudinal measurement of tibial motion relative to the femur during passive displacements in the cat before and after anterior cruciate ligament transection.J Orthop Res. 1998; 16: 448-454
- Why we hurt: the natural history of pain.Harcourt, New York2000
- Classification of chronic pain.2nd edition. IASP Press, Seattle (WA)1994
- Cancer pain classification: a controversial issue.Pain. 1991; 46: 1-2
- Classification of cancer pain syndromes.Oncology. 2001; 15: 1627-1640
- Cancer pain classification.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1997; 41: 141-145
- Neurotoxic complications of chemotherapy in patients with cancer: clinical signs and optimal management.Drugs. 2003; 63: 1549-1563
- Cancer pain: pathophysiology and syndromes.Lancet. 1992; 339: 1026-1031
- Analysis and treatment of different types of neuropathic cancer pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003; 26: 1123-1130
- The nature of opioid responsiveness and its implications for neuropathic pain: new hypotheses derived from studies of opioid infusions.Pain. 1990; 43: 273-286
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuropathic pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003; 25: S4-S11
- Gabapentin as an adjuvant to opioid analgesia for neuropathic cancer pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999; 17: 441-445
- Neuropathic pain in cancer patients: Mechanism syndromes and clinical controversies.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1997; 14: 99-117
- The problem of deafferentation pain in the management of the patient with cancer.J Palliat Care. 1987; 2: 8-12
- Sodium channel accumulation in humans with painful neuromas.Neurology. 1996; 47: 272-276
- Cancer pain relief.World Health Organization, Geneva (Switzerland)1986
- Description of a mechanistic approach to pain management in advanced cancer.Pain. 1992; 51: 273-282
- Management of cancer pain.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1695-1700
- Relief of chronic cancer pain.in: Dobson J.M. Lascelles B.D.X. BSAVA manual of canine and feline oncology. BSAVA, Quedgeley, Gloucester (UK)2003: 137-151
- Validity of a health-related quality-of-life scale for dogs with signs of pain secondary to cancer.JAVMA. 2005; 226: 1354-1358
- Correlation between subjective and objective measures used to determine severity of postoperative pain in dogs.JAVMA. 1997; 210: 1619-1622
- Changes in plasma cortisol concentrations in bitches in response to different combinations of halothane and butorphanol, with or without ovariohysterectomy.Res Vet Sci. 1998; 65: 125-133
- The effects of ovariohysterectomy plus different combinations of halothane anaesthesia and butorphanol analgesia on behaviour in the bitch.Res Vet Sci. 2000; 68: 265-274
- Behavior after ovariohysterectomy in the dog: what's normal?.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1997; 51: 111-128
- Increased cyclooxygenase-2 levels in carcinogen-induced rat colonic tumors.Gastroenterology. 1996; 110: 1259-1262
- Increased cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression and activity in a murine model of metastatic breast cancer.Int J Cancer. 2001; 93: 681-686
- Antiangiogenic and antitumor activities of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 1306-1311
- COX-2 inhibition, apoptosis, and chemoprevention by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Curr Med Chem. 2000; 7: 1131-1144
- Expression and localization of endothelin receptors: implication for the involvement of peripheral glia in nociception.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 999-1006
- Endothelin-secreting tumors and the idea of the pseudoectopic hormone secretion in tumors.Med Hypotheses. 1999; 52: 329-333
- Identification of endothelin-1 in the pathophysiology of metastatic adenocarcinoma of the prostate.Nat Med. 1995; 1: 944-999
- Molecular mechanisms of nociception.Nature. 2001; 413: 203-210
- Mechanism of mineral solubilization and matrix degradation in osteoclastic bone resorption.in: Rifkin B.R. Gay C.V. Biology and physiology of the osteoclast. CRC Press, Philadelphia (PA)1992
- Neurochemical plasticity in persistent inflammatory pain.Prog Brain Res. 2000; 129: 357-363
- Using bisphosphonates to control the pain of bone metastases: evidence based guidelines for palliative care.Palliat Med. 2000; 14: 455-461
- Murine models of inflammatory, neuropathic and cancer pain each generates a unique set of neurochemical changes in the spinal cord and sensory neurons.Neuroscience. 2000; 98: 585-598
- The changing sensitivity in the life of the nociceptor.Pain. 1999; : S93-S102
- Neurotrophic factors and neuropathic pain.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2001; 1: 66-72
- Neurochemical and cellular reorganization of the spinal cord in a murine model of bone cancer pain.Neuroscience. 1999; 19: 10886-10897
- Strategies for the treatment of cancer pain in the new millennium.Drugs. 2001; 61: 955-977
- Prognostic effect of weight loss prior to chemotherapy in cancer patients.Am J Med. 1980; 69: 491
- Clinical significance of weight loss in cancer patients: rationale for the use of anabolic agents in the treatment of cancer-related cachexia.Nutrition. 2001; 17: S1-S20
- Evaluation of body condition and weight loss in dogs presented to a veterinary oncology service.J Vet Intern Med. 2004; 18: 692-695
- Influence of a liquid nutritional supplement on water intake in experimental beagle dogs.Viyo Publications, Atwerp (Belgium)2010Accessed April 10, 2012.)
- Nutritional management of the cancer patient.in: Withrow S.J. Vail D.M. Small animal clinical oncology. 4th ed. Saunders/Elsevier, St Louis (MO)2007: 307-326
- University study: effects of feeding omega-3 fatty acids on force plate gait analysis in dogs with osteoarthritis, 3-month feeding study, 2003.(Data on file) Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. Technical information services, 2005
The author has nothing to disclose.