According to pet owners, most pets, even senior pets, are healthy or generally healthy and do not require therapeutic diets.
- Lund E.M.
- Armstrong P.J.
- Kirk C.A.
- et al.
Health status and population characteristics of dogs and cats examined at private veterinary practices in the United States.
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999; 214: 1336-1341
2But, all pets must eat. And, despite an increase in the influence of the internet, veterinarians remain the top resource for pet owners for information regarding pet health and nutrition.
- Laflamme D.P.
- Abood S.K.
- Fascetti A.J.
- et al.
Pet feeding practices among dog and cat owners in the United States and Australia.
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 232: 687-694
2Therefore, veterinarians need to be prepared to provide nutritional advice for healthy pets as well as for pets that are ill. This is especially true for senior pets, due to their unique needs. This article is designed to provide guidance for nutritional assessment of aging pets, with information about feeding healthy older pets as well as addressing some common age-related, nutrient-sensitive conditions in senior dogs and cats.
- Laflamme D.P.
- Abood S.K.
- Fascetti A.J.
- et al.
Pet feeding practices among dog and cat owners in the United States and Australia.
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 232: 687-694
- •Before prescribing a dietary change in any patient, a nutritional evaluation should be completed to include assessment of the patient, the current diet, and feeding management.
- •Body condition score to assess body fat and muscle score to assess muscle atrophy are key indicators of nutritional and health status in senior pets.
- •Cognitive dysfunction is a common condition in aged pets and may respond to dietary management with antioxidants and alternative energy sources, as well as environmental and behavioral enrichment for mental stimulation.
- •Multimodal management of osteoarthritis includes a combination of weight management, physical therapy, diet including long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids from fish oil, other nutraceuticals, and pharmaceutical agents.
- •Obesity is associated with increased oxidative stress, inflammation, and insulin resistance, which contribute to a number of health problems.
- •Weight loss can be achieved in most pets by creating a negative energy balance and is best achieved using diets with low calorie density, increased protein content, and an overall increased nutrient:calorie ratio.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Health status and population characteristics of dogs and cats examined at private veterinary practices in the United States.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999; 214: 1336-1341
- Pet feeding practices among dog and cat owners in the United States and Australia.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008; 232: 687-694
- Geriatrics in canine and feline internal medicine.Eur J Med Res. 1998; 3: 31-41
- AAHA Nutritional assessment guidelines for dogs and cats.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2010; 46: 285-296
- WSAVA nutritional assessment guidelines.J Fel Med Surg. 2011; 13: 516-525
- Development and validation of a body condition score system for dogs: a clinical tool.Can Pract. 1997; 22: 10-15
- Development and validation of a body condition score system for cats: a clinical tool.Fel Pract. 1997; 25: 13-18
- A simple, reliable tool for owners to assess the body condition of their dog or cat.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2031S-2033S
- Cat nutrition: what's new in the old?.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 2004; 26: 5-10
- Correlation of a feline muscle mass score with body composition determined by DEXA.Br J Nutr. 2011; 106: S57-S59
- Nutrition and sarcopenia of aging.Nutr Res Rev. 2004; 17: 69-76
- Effect of diet and body composition on life span in aging cats.(Proceedings of the Nestle Purina Companion Animal Nutrition Summit: focus on gerontology. Clearwater Beach (FL), March 26–27, 2010.) Nestlé Purina PetCare, St Louis (MO)2010
- Lean mass index: a better predictor of mortality than body mass index in elderly Asians.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 312-317
- Disease prevalence and use of therapeutic diets and dietary supplements among dog and cat owners.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 229: 531-534
- Changing perspectives on aging and energy requirements: aging and energy intakes in humans, dogs and cats.J Nutr. 1998; 128: 2623S-2626S
- Effect of age on maintenance energy requirements and apparent digestibility of canine diets.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 2000; 22: 113
- Energy requirements of adult cats.Brit J Nutr. 2010; 103: 1083-1093
- Effect of age on maintenance energy requirements of adult cats.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 2002; 24: 82
- Long-term food consumption and body weight changes in a controlled population of geriatric cats.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 2004; 26: 60
- The inter-organ flux of substrates in fed and fasted man, an indicated by arteriovenous balance studies.Nutr Res Rev. 1991; 4: 3-31
- Factors influencing lean body mass in aging dogs.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 1999; 21: 34-37
- Survey of opinions about nutritional requirements of senior dogs and analysis of nutrient profiles of commercially available diets for senior dogs.Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 2011; 9: 68-79
- Prevalence and risk factors for obesity in adult cats from private US veterinary practices.Int J Appl Res Vet Med. 2005; 3: 88-96
- Prevalence and risk factors for obesity in adult dogs from private US veterinary practices.Int J Appl Res Vet Med. 2006; 4: 177-186
- Effects of dietary protein and phosphorus on the kidney of dogs.in: Kal Kan Foods, Inc., Vernon (CA)1992: 39-41
- Effects of aging and dietary protein intake on uninephrectomized geriatric dogs.Am J Vet Res. 1994; 55: 1282-1290
- Mythology of protein restriction for dogs with reduced renal function.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 1999; 21: 15-20
- Issues in pet food safety: dietary protein.Top Comp Anim Med. 2008; 23: 154-157
- Determination of optimal dietary protein requirements of young and old dogs.J Nutr. 1966; 88: 66-74
- Age-related changes in protein synthesis.Rev Biol Res Aging. 1983; 1: 255-273
- Older cats with gastrointestinal disease are more likely to be cobalamin deficient.Comp Cont Educ Small Anim Pract. 2004; 26: 62
- Subnormal concentrations of serum cobalamin (vitamin B12) in cats with gastrointestinal disease.J Vet Intern Med. 2001; 15: 26-32
- Vitamin E: introduction to biochemistry and health benefits.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1989; 570: 1-6
- Antioxidant status and biomarkers of oxidative stress in dogs with congestive heart failure.J Vet Intern Med. 2005; 19: 537-541
- Dietary supplements of vitamins E and C and beta-carotene reduce oxidative stress in cats with renal insufficiency.Vet Res Commun. 2006; 30: 403-413
- Antioxidant status of adult beagles is affected by dietary antioxidant intake.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 1658S-1660S
- Oxidative stress and chronic kidney disease.Vet Clin N Am Small Anim Pract. 2008; 38: 157-166
- The role of nutritional interventions in the longevity and maintenance of long-term health in aging cats.Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 2008; 6: 69-81
- Oxidative damage and cognitive dysfunction: antioxidant treatments to promote healthy brain aging.Neurchem Res. 2009; 34: 670-678
- Oxidative damage and defense.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 63: 985S-990S
- ROS and RNS signaling in heart disorders: could antioxidant treatment be successful?.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2011; 2011: 293769
- Prevalence of behavioral changes associated with age-related cognitive impairment in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 218: 1787-1791
- Nutritional supplementation in cases of canine cognitive dysfunction: a clinical trial.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2007; 105: 284-296
- Prevalence and risk factors for behavioural changes associated with age-related cognitive impairment in geriatric dogs.J Sm Anim Pract. 2009; 50: 87-91
- Cognitive dysfunction in cats: a syndrome we used to dismiss as ‘old age’.J Fel Med Surg. 2010; 12: 837-848
- Cognitive dysfunction in cats: clinical assessment and management.Top Comp Anim Med. 2011; 26: 17-24
- Predicting behavioral changes associated with age-related cognitive impairment in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 218: 1792-1795
- The canine as an animal model of human aging and dementia.Neurobiol Aging. 1996; 17: 259-268
- Dietary enrichment with medium chain triglycerides (AC-1203) elevates polyunsaturated fatty acids in the parietal cortex of aged dogs: implications for treating age-related cognitive decline.Neurochem Res. 2009; 34: 1619-1625
- Dietary supplementation with medium-chain TAG has long-lasting cognition-enhancing effects in aged dogs.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 1746-1754
- Mitogenic failure in Alzheimer disease.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007; 292: C8-C23
- Oxidative damage and cognitive dysfunction: antioxidant treatments to promote healthy brain aging.Neurochem Res. 2009; 34: 670-678
- Synergistic effects of long-term antioxidant diet and behavioral enrichment on β-amyloid load and non-amyloidogenic processing in aged canines.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 9831-9839
- BDNF increases with behavioral enrichment and an antioxidant diet in aged dog.Neurobiol Aging. 2012; 33: 546-554
- The influence of orally administered docosahexaenoic acid on cognitive ability in aged mice.J Nutr Biochem. 2009; 20: 735-741
- Docohexaenoic acid and neurological development in animals.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 228: 700-705
- Induction of ketosis may improve mitochondrial function and decrease steady-state amyloid-β precursor protein (APP) levels in the aged dog.Brain Res. 2008; 1226: 209-217
- Energy contribution of octanoate to intact rat brain metabolism measured by 13C nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 5928-5935
- Lactate fuels the human brain during exercise.Fed Assoc Soc Exp Biol J. 2008; 22: 3443-3449
- Medium-chain fatty acids improve cognitive function in intensively treated type I diabetic patients and support in vitro synaptic transmission during acute hypoglycemia.Diabetes. 2009; 58: 1237-1244
- Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults.Neurobiol Aging. 2004; 25: 311-314
- Understanding the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis.Vet Med. 2002; 97: 108-112
- Osteoarthritis in cats.Top Comp Anim Med. 2010; 25: 218-232
- Osteoarthritis.Vet Clin North Am Sm Anim Pract. 1997; 27: 699-723
- Serum markers of lipid peroxidation, antioxidant enzymatic defense, and collagen degradation in an experimental (Pond-Nuki) canine model of osteoarthritis.Vet Clin Pathol. 2007; 36: 192-195
- Expression profiling of select cytokines in canine osteoarthritis tissues.Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2007; 118: 59-67
- Osteoarthritis and body weight.Nutr Res. 2000; 20: 899-903
- Effects of diet restriction on life span and age-related changes in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002; 220: 1315-1320
- A review of osteoarthritis and obesity: current understanding of the relationship and benefit of obesity treatment and prevention in the dog.Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2009; 22: 339-345
- Associations between body condition and disease in cats.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1998; 212: 1725-1731
- Inflammatory mediators: tracing links between obesity and osteoarthritis.Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Exp. 2011; 21: 131-142
- Inflammation, oxidative stress and obesity.Int J Mol Sci. 2011; 12: 3117-3132
- The effect of weight loss on lameness in obese dogs with osteoarthritis.Vet Res Commun. 2010; 34: 241-253
- Effect of weight reduction on clinical signs of lameness in dogs with hip osteoarthritis.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 216: 1089-1091
- The effect of deracoxib, a new COX-2 inhibitor, on the prevention of lameness induced by chemical synovitis in dogs.Vet Ther. 2002; 3: 7-18
- Analgesia and COX-2 inhibition.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2001; 19: S63-S70
- The therapeutic effect of carprofen (Rimadyl) in 209 clinical cases of canine degenerative joint disease.Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 1992; 5: 140-144
- Correlation of prostaglandin E2 concentrations in synovial fluid with ground reaction forces and clinical variables for pain or inflammation in dogs with osteoarthritis induced by transection of the cranial cruciate ligament.Am J Vet Res. 2004; 65: 1269-1275
- Flavocoxid inhibits phospholipase A2, peroxidase moieties of the cyclooxygenases (COX) and 5-lipoxygenase, modifies COX-2 gene expression, and acts as an antioxidant.Mediators Inflamm. 2011; 2011: 385780
- Role of eicosanoids in structural degradation in osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2003; 15: 623-627
- Marine oils and their effects.Nutr Rev. 1992; 50: 38-45
- Nutritional modulation of inflammatory diseases.Semin Vet Med Surg (Sm Anim). 1997; 12: 212-222
- Effects of dietary supplementation with fish oil on in vivo production of inflammatory mediators in clinically normal dogs.Am J Vet Res. 2008; 69: 486-493
- Pathologic indicators of degradation and inflammation in human osteoarthritic cartilage are abrogated by exposure to n3 fatty acids.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 46: 1544-1553
- Nutritional management of osteoarthritis.Vet Clin N Am Small Anim Pract. 1997; 27: 883-911
- Dietary fatty acids and arthritis.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2010; 82: 315-318
- Treatment of dogs with hip arthritis with a fatty acid supplement.Canine Pract. 1992; 17: 6-8
- Fish oil decreases matrix metalloproteinases in knee synovial of dogs with inflammatory joint disease.J Nutr Biochem. 2008; 19: 101-108
- A multicenter study of the effect of dietary supplementation with fish oil omega-3 fatty acids on carprofen dosage in dogs with osteoarthritis.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010; 236: 535-539
- Evaluation of the effects of dietary supplementation with fish oil omega-3 fatty acids on weight bearing in dogs with osteoarthritis.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010; 236: 67-73
- Feeding a high omega-3 fatty acids diet improves the pain-related disability in dogs with naturally occurring osteoarthritis.J Sm Anim Pract. 2012; (in press)
- Evaluation of a therapeutic diet for feline digestive joint disease.J Vet Intern Med. 2010; 24: 487-495
- Dietary eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid equally incorporate as decosahexaenoic acid but differ in inflammatory effects.Nutrition. 2008; 24: 245-254
- Responses of dogs to dietary omega-3 fatty acids.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007; 231: 1657-1660
- Lower efficacy in the utilization of dietary ALA as compared to preformed DPA + DHA on long chain n3 PUFA levels in rats.Lipids. 2010; 45: 799-808
- Oral chondroprotective agents.Compendium. 1999; 21: 601-609
- Structural and symptomatic efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in knee osteoarthritis.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 1514-1522
- Effects of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate on cartilage metabolism in OA: outlook on other nutrient partners especially omega-3 fatty acids.Int J Rheumatol. 2011; 2011: 969012
- Efficacy and tolerability of oral chondroitin sulfate as a symptomatic slow-acting drug for osteoarthritis (SYSADOA) in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1998; 6: 31-36
- Condroitins 4 and 6 sulphate in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 779-786
- Anti-inflammatory activity of chondroitin sulfate.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2008; 16: S14-S18
- Systematic review of clinical trials of treatments for osteoarthritis in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007; 230: 514-521
- Randomised double-blind, positive-controlled trial to assess the efficacy of glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate for the treatment of dogs with osteoarthritis.Vet J. 2007; 174: 54-61
- Comparative therapeutic efficacy and safety of type-II collagen (uc-II), glucosamine and chondroitin in arthritic dogs: pain evaluation by ground force plate.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01166.x
- Clinical evaluation of a powder of quality elk velvet antler for the treatment of osteoarthrosis in dogs.Can Vet J. 2004; 45: 133-139
- Improvement of arthritic signs in dogs fed green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus).J Nutr. 2002; 132: S1634-S1636
- Evaluating complementary therapies for canine osteoarthritis.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009; 6: 365-373
- A placebo-controlled double-blinded study on the effect of nutraceuticals (chondroitin sulfate and mussel extract) in dogs with joint diseases as perceived by their owners.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 1690S-1691S
- Symptomatic efficacy of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee and hip.Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 41: 81-91
- Metabolic effects of avocado/soy unsaponifiables on articular chondrocytes.Evid Based Complement Altern Med. 2008; 5: 191-197
- Protective effects of total fraction of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables on the structural changes in experimental dog osteoarthritis: inhibition of nitric oxide synthase and matrix metalloproteinase-13.Arthritis Res Ther. 2009; 11: R41
- Efficacy and safety of piascledine 300 versus chondroitin sulfate in a 6 months treatment plus 2 months observation in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 29: 659-670
- Treatment with usaponifiable extracts of avocado and soybean increases TGF-β1 and TGF-β2 levels in canine joint fluid.Tohoku J Exp Med. 2007; 211: 181-186
- The role of reactive oxygen species in homeostasis and degradation of cartilage.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003; 11: 747-755
- Potential involvement of oxidative stress in cartilage senescence and development of osteoarthritis: oxidative stress induces chondrocyte telomere instability and downregulation of chondrocyte function.Arthritis Res Ther. 2005; 7: R380-R391
- Dietary vitamins and selenium diminish the development of mechanically induced osteoarthritis and increase the expression of antioxidative enzymes in the knee joint of STR/1N mice.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2002; 10: 119-126
- The antioxidant vitamins A, C, E and selenium in the treatment of arthritis: a systemic review of randomized clinical trials.Rheumatology. 2007; 46: 1223-1233
- Antioxidant therapy: current status and future prospects.Curr Med Chem. 2011; 18: 3871-3888
- The effects of vitamin C supplementation on incident and progressive knee osteoarthritis: a longitudinal study.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 709-715
- Reduction in the structural changes of experimental osteoarthritis by a nitric oxide inhibitor.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1999; 7: 416-418
- Pharmacoproteomic study of the effects of chondroitin and glucosamine sulfate on human articular chondrocytes.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12: R138
- Experimental study of velvet antler polypeptides against oxidative damage of osteoarthritis cartilage cells.Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2011; 24: 245-248
- Nutrient intake of patients with rheumatoid arthritis is deficient in pyridoxine, zinc, copper, and magnesium.J Rheumatol. 1996; 23: 990-994
- Inadequate calcium, folic acid, vitamin E, zinc, and selenium intake in rheumatoid arthritis patients: results of a dietary survey.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 27: 180-185
- Prevalence of obesity in dogs examined by Australian veterinary practices and the risk factors involved.Vet Rec. 2005; 156: 695-702
Colliard L, Ancel J, Benet JJ, et al. Risk factors for obesity in dogs in France. 2006;136:1951S-4S.
- Prevalence and risk factors of obesity in an urban population of healthy cats.J Fel Med Surg. 2009; 11: 135-140
- Prevalence and risk factors for feline obesity in a first opinion practice in Glasgow, Scotland.J Fel Med Surg. 2010; 12: 746-753
- An epidemiological study of environmental factors associated with canine obesity.J Sm Anim Pract. 2010; 51: 362-367
- The growing problem of obesity in dogs and cats.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 1940S-1946S
- Hypertension: a risk factor associated with weight status in dogs.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2011S-2013S
- Association of expiratory airway dysfunction with marked obesity in healthy adult dogs.Am J Vet Res. 2007; 68: 670-675
- Diet restriction and aging in the dog: major observations over two decades.Br J Nutr. 2008; 99: 793-805
- Effects of weight loss on heart rate normalization and increase in spontaneous activity in moderately exercised overweight dogs.Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 2009; 7: 153-164
- The effects of obesity-associated insulin resistance on mRNA expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ target genes, in dogs.Br J Nutr. 2007; 98: 497-503
- Comparison of adipokine concentrations and markers of inflammation in obese versus lean dogs.Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 2009; 7: 196-205
- Improvement in insulin resistance and reduction in plasma inflammatory adipokines after weight loss in obese dogs.Dom Anim Endocrinol. 2009; 37: 214-226
- Adipokines: a review of biological and analytical principles and an update in dogs, cats and horses.Vet Clin Pathol. 2009; 38: 136-156
- The effects of weight loss on adipokines and markers of inflammation in dogs.Br J Nutr. 2011; 106: 11-14S
- Effect of prepuberal and postpuberal gonadectomy on heat production measured by indirect calorimetry in male and female domestic cats.Am J Vet Res. 1996; 57: 371-374
- Effects of dietary fat and energy on body weight and composition after gonadectomy in cats.Am J Vet Res. 2004; 65: 1708-1713
- Gonadectomy and high fat diet but not high dietary carbohydrate induce gains in body weight and fat of domestic cats.Br J Nutr. 2007; 98: 641-650
- Impact of ovariohysterectomy and food intake on body composition, physical activity, and adipose gene expression in cats.J Anim Sci. 2009; 87: 594-602
- The relationship of feeding pattern and obesity in dogs.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2011; 95: 98-105
- Evaluation of a nine-point body condition scoring system in physically inactive pet cats.Am J Vet Res. 2011; 72: 433-437
- How often do veterinarians assess the bodyweight and body condition of dogs?.Vet Rec. 2008; 163: 503-505
- Evaluation of weight loss protocols for dogs.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 1997; 33: 253-259
- Physical activity and body size influence weight loss during a weight reduction protocol.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011; (in press)
- The effect of weight loss regimen on subsequent weight maintenance in dogs.Nutr Res. 1995; 15: 1019-1028
- Long-term persistence of adaptive thermogenesis in subjects who have maintained a reduced body weight.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 906-912
- Energy restriction results in mass-adjusted decrease in energy expenditure in cats that is maintained after weight regain.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 856-860
- Contribution of individual organ mass loss to weight loss-associated decline in resting energy expenditure.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 993-1001
- Weight loss in obese dogs: evaluation of a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 1685-1687S
- High-protein low-carbohydrate diets enhance weight loss in dogs.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2087S-2089S
- Increased dietary protein promotes fat loss and reduces loss of lean body mass during weight loss in cats.Int J Appl Res Vet Med. 2005; 3: 62-68
- Protein, weight management, and satiety.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1558S-1561S
- Protein intake during weight loss influences the energy required for weight loss and maintenance in cats.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 855-860
- Influence of a high-protein diet on energy balance in obese cats allowed ad libitum access to food.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2011; 95: 359-367
- Effects of dietary fiber content on satiety in dogs.Vet Clin Nutr. 1997; 4: 130-134
- Satiety reduced adiposity in dogs.Vet Ther. 2000; 1: 17-23
- The effects of dietary fibre type on satiety-related hormones and voluntary food intake in dogs.Br J Nutr. 2009; 102: 318-325
- A high-protein, high-fiber diet designed for weight loss improves satiety in dogs.J Vet Intern Med. 2007; 21: 1203-1208
- Energy intake in cats as affected by alterations in diet energy density.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2072S-2074S
- Use of soy isoflavones for weight management in spayed/neutered dogs.FASEB J. 2006; 20: A854-A855
- Oestradiol, but not genistein, inhibits the rise in food intake following gonadectomy in cats, but genistein is associated with an increase in lean body mass.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 2007; (91L400–10)
- Effect of isoflavones, conjugated linoleic acid, and L-carnitine on weight loss and oxidative stress in overweight dogs.Comp Cont Educ Vet. 2008; 30: 69
- The clinical and metabolic effects of rapid weight loss in obese pet cats and the influence of supplemental oral L-carnitine.J Vet Intern Med. 2000; 14: 598-608
- Weight loss effect of dietary diacylglycerol in obese dogs.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 2006; 90: 208-215
- Postprandial lipolytic activities, lipids, and carbohydrate metabolism are altered in dogs fed diacylglycerol meals containing high- and low-glycemic index starches.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 1955S-1957S
- Dietary fat intake, supplements, and weight loss.Can J Appl Physiol. 2000; 25: 495-523
- Effect of L-carnitine on weight loss and body composition of rats fed a hypocaloric diet.Ann Nutr Metab. 2002; 46: 205-210
- L-carnitine supplementation does not promote weight loss in ovariectomized rats despite endurance exercise.Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2005; 75: 156-160
- Evaluation of owner education as a component of obesity treatment programs for dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004; 224: 1932-1935
- Dietary energy restriction and successful weight loss in obese client-owned dogs.J Vet Intern Med. 2007; 21: 1174-1180
- One-year weight losses in the look AHEAD study: factors associated with success.Obesity. 2009; 17: 713-722
- Behavioural therapy in the treatment of obesity (I): new directions for clinical practice.Nutr Hosp. 2009; 24: 629-639
- Dog obesity: can dog caregivers' (owners') feeding and exercise intentions and behaviours be predicted from attitudes?.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2010; 13: 213-236
- Client perceptions and canine weight loss.Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet. 2001; 23: 90
- Dog obesity: veterinary practices' and owners' opinions on cause and management.Prev Vet Med. 2010; 94: 310-315
- Imprecision when using measuring cups to weigh out extruded dry kibbled food.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2011; 95: 368-373
- The effect of food bowl size on the amount of food fed to cats.in: Proc Am Assoc Vet Nutr Annual Symposium 2011. Royal Canin, St Charles (MO)2011: 8 (June 15.)
- Size of food bowl and scoop affects amount of food owners feed their dogs.J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2012; 96: 237-241
- An evaluation of dirlotapide to reduce body weight of client-owned dogs in two placebo-controlled clinical studies in Europe.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 30: 73-80
- Efficacy and safety of dirlotapide in the management of obese dogs evaluated in two placebo-controlled, masked clinical studies in North America.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 30: 81-89
- Effect of mitratapide on body composition, body measurements and glucose tolerance in obese beagles.Vet Res Commun. 2009; 33: 839-847
Published online: May 10, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.