Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice
- Thunderstorm phobia in dogs: an internet survey of 69 cases.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2001; 37: 319-324
- Diagnosis and treatment of separation-related behavior problems in dogs.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1982; 12: 625-635
- Diagnostic criteria for separation anxiety in the dog.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1991; 21: 247-255
- Separation anxiety in dogs.The Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 2008; 30: 27-42
- Effects of Reconcile (Fluoxetine) chewable tablets plus behavior management for canine separation anxiety.Vet Ther. 2007; 8: 18-31
- Dogs behaving badly—canine separation disorder research.Veterinary Practice. 1999; 31: 12-13
- Aetiology of separation-related behaviour in domestic dogs.Vet Rec. 2002; 151: 43-46
- Separation anxiety in dogs.in: Voith V.L. Borchelt P.L. Readings in companion animal behavior. Veterinary Learning Systems, Trenton (NJ)1996: 124-139
- Diagnosis and treatment of canine separation anxiety and the use of clomipramine hydrochloride (Clomicalm).J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2000; 37: 313-318
- Classification of behavior problems in dogs: distributions of age, breed, sex, and reproductive status.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1987; 19: 169-178
- Diagnosis and treatment of destructive behavior in dogs.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1997; 27: 533-548
- Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 209: 738-742
- Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 shelters.J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2000; 3: 93-106
- The role of veterinary practitioners in reducing dog and cat relinquishments and euthanasias.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002; 220: 306-311
- Factors associated with the decision to surrender a pet to an animal shelter.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 29: 738-742
- Evaluation of a behavioral assessment questionnaire for use in the characterization of behavioral problems of dogs relinquished to animal shelters.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005; 227: 1755-1761
- Evaluation of treatments for separation anxiety.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000; 217: 342-345
- Breaking the human-companion animal bond.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 208: 1653-1659
- Early experience and the development of behavior.in: Serpell J.A. The domestic dog: its evolution, behavior, and interactions with people. Cambridge University Press, New York1996: 79-102
- Risk factors and behaviors associated with separation anxiety in dogs.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 219: 460-466
- Separation anxiety: a summary of some of the characteristics of 61 cases seen at Sydney, Australia, behaviour practice.in: Mills D. Levine E. Landsberg G.M. Current issues and research in veterinary behavioral medicine. Purdue University Press, West Lafayette (IN)2005: 203-206
- Separation anxiety in dogs: the function of homeostasis in its development and treatment.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2003; 33: 321-344
Pageat P. Pathologie du comportement du Chien, Du Point Veterinaire. Maisons Alfort (France): 1995.
- Is there a relationship between canine behavior problems and spoiling activities, anthropomorphism, and obedience training?.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1992; 34: 263-272
- The effects of dog obedience training and behavioural counseling upon the human-canine relationship.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1993; 37: 147-159
- Owner characteristics and interactions and the prevalence of canine behaviour problems.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1996; 47: 31-44
- Behavioral and glucocorticoid responses of adult dogs (Canis familiaris): companionship and social separation.J Comp Psychol. 1996; 110: 103-108
- Separation anxiety: not all dogs crated or kenneled successfully.DVM Newsmagazine. 2003; 34: 20S-22S
- Evaluation of clomipramine as an adjunct to behavioural therapy in the treatment of separation-related problems in dogs.Vet Rec. 1999; 145: 365-369
- Treatment of separation anxiety in dogs with clomipramine: results from a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multicenter clinical trial.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2000; 67: 255-275
- Comparison of the efficacy of a synthetic dog-appeasing pheromone with clomipramine for the treatment of separation-related disorders in dogs.Vet Rec. 2005; 156: 533-538
- Behaviour patterns and time course of activity in dogs with separation problems.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1999; 63: 219-236
Voith VL, Ganster D. Separation anxiety: review of 42 cases. Proceedings of the American Veterinary Medical Association Annual Meeting, Boston, 1992.
- Effectiveness of fluoxetine chewable tablets in the treatment of canine separation anxiety.Journal of Veterinary Behavior, Clinical Applications and Research. 2008; 3: 12-19
- Use of clomipramine for separation anxiety in dogs.Vet Rec. 1998; 142: 587-588
Simpson BS. Behavioral drugs: “baseline” and “adjunctive” agents. Proceedings of the American Veterinary Medical Association 140th Annual Convention, July 15–19, 2006, Honolulu, Hawaii, Session Note #02225, 2006.
Gruen ME, Sherman BL. Use of trazodone as an adjunctive agent in the treatment of canine anxiety disorders: 56 cases (1995–2007). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2008; in press.
- Frequency of nonspecific clinical signs in dogs with separation anxiety, thunderstorm phobia, and noise phobia, alone or in combination.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 219: 467-473
- Handbook of behavior problems of the dog and cat.2nd edition. Saunders/Elsevier Health Sciences, Philadephia2003
- Clinical behavioral medicine for small animals.Mosby, St. Louis (MO)1996 (p. 209–50)
- Treatment of fears and phobias in dogs.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1982; 12: 607-623
- Canine behavior: a guide for veterinarians.WB Saunders, Philadelphia1999
- Advances in the understanding and treatment of noise phobias.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 1991; 21: 353-368
- Treatment of behavior problems in dogs and cats: a guide for the small animal veterinarian.2nd edition. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford (UK)2003
- Risk factors associated with interdog aggression and shooting phobias among purebred dogs in Denmark.Prev Vet Med. 2003; 58: 85-100
- Prevalence of behaviour problems reported by owners of dogs purchased from an animal rescue shelter.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2000; 69: 55-65
- Firework fears and phobias in the domestic dog. 2005. Reports prepared for the RSPCA.(Available at:)http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlblob&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobwhere=1131368232338&ssbinary=true(Accessed June 12, 2008)
- Annual review of cases 2005.(Available at:)Accessed June 12, 2008)
- Use of clomipramine, alprazolam, and behavior modification for treatment of storm phobic dogs and their caregivers.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003; 226: 744-748
- Evaluation of dog appeasing pheromone as a potential treatment for dogs fearful of fireworks.Vet Rec. 2003; 152: 432-436
- A prospective study of two self help CD based desensitization and counter-conditioning programmes with the use of Dog Appeasing Pheromone for the treatment of firework fears in dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2007; 105: 311-329
- Long term follow-up of the efficacy of a behavioural treatment programme for dogs with firework fears.Vet Rec. 2008; 162: 657-659
- A double-blind placebo-controlled study into the efficacy of a homeopathic remedy for fear of firework noises in the dog (Canis familiaris).Vet J. 2008; 177: 80-88
- Retrospective analysis of the treatment of firework fears in dogs.Vet Rec. 2003; 153: 561-562
- A retrospective analysis of relationships with severity of signs of fear of fireworks and treatment outcome in 99 cases.in: Mills D. Levine E. Landsberg G. Current issues and research in veterinary behavioural medicine—papers presented at the 5th International Veterinary Behavior Meeting. Purdue University Press, West Lafayette (IN)2005: 161-164
Iimura K. The nature of noise fear in domestic dogs [MPhil thesis]. University of Lincoln, 2006.
Iimura K, Mills DS, Levine E. An analysis of the relationship between the history of development of sensitivity to loud noises and behavioural signs in domestic dogs. In: Landsberg G, Mattiello S, Mills D, editors. Proceedings of the 6th International Veterinary Behaviour Meeting and European College of Veterinary Behavioural Medicine—Companion Animals and European Society of Veterinary Clinical Ethology, Fondazionne Iniziative Zooprofilattiche e Zootechniche, Brescia 2007;70–71.
- Relationship between aggressive and avoidance behaviour by dogs and their experience in the first six months of life.Vet Rec. 2002; 150: 434-438
- Physiological and behavioral reactivity to stress in thunderstorm-phobic dogs and their caregivers.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2005; 95: 153-168
- Fears in companion dogs: characteristics and treatment.in: Keehn J.D. Psychopathology in animals. Academic Press, New York1979: 239-255
- Pharmacologic management in veterinary behavioral medicine.Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2003; 33: 365-369
- Psychotropic agents.in: Horwitz D. Mills D. Heath S. BSAVA manual of canine and feline behavioural medicine. British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Gloucester (UK)2002: 237-248
- Clomipramine and behavioural therapy in the treatment of separation-related problems in dogs.Vet Rec. 2000; 146: 111-112
- Results of a follow-up investigation to a clinical trial testing the efficacy of clomipramine in the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2004; 89: 233-242
- The treatment of phobias in the dog.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1997; 52: 275-289